Off-Highway Vehicle Use

Because Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) use damages the parkways and nature preserve areas, it is prohibited throughout the Sacramento County Regional Parks System.

The California OHV Recreation Program defines an OHV as “any motor vehicle operated off-highway. A highway licensed vehicle is an OHV when operated off of the highway. Some of the more common OHVs include all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), dirt bikes, sand rails, recreation utility vehicles (RUVs), golf carts, snowmobiles, go-carts, jeeps, recreational off-highway vehicles (ROVs) and 4x4s."

Legal Riding Areas in Sacramento County

If you would like to ride your OHVs, the only legal, public facility for OHVs in the area is the Prairie City State Vehicular Recreation Area in Rancho Cordova.

Training Opportunities

In addition to being the only legal public facility for OHV use, Prairie City SVRA also provides OHV Safety Training. To find out if training is required for you (or your children), check out the California State Parks ATV Safety Training page.

Registering OHVs

OHVs operated on lands open and accessible to the public, whether public or privately owned, must have either a highway license or an OHV identification sticker issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. For more information about registering your OHV, check out the California State Parks OHV Frequently Asked Questions page.   ​​